Watch the Videos
How to Sow Giant Purple Milan Turnip Seeds
A hardy vegetable which is very popular in the United Kingdom. Known for being very easy to grow, with turnips reaching maturity after only 45 days. A superior tasting, flat rooted vegetable which has a fine buttery texture. By sowing seeds sequentially, benefit from a continuous supply of turnips. Hardy to British weather conditions, this turnip can tolerate extensive drought or moisture.
How to Cultivate Giant Purple Milan Turnip from Seed
- Sowing seeds directly outdoors after the last frost has passed. and the ground is workable in early spring, avoiding freshly manured areas. You can sow an additional crop in late summer to harvest in the winter.
- Sow seeds at a depth of 1/2″ and cover them with a fine layer of soil. Keep the soil moist to get the best flavour.
- The germination period takes between 14 to 21 days and will be ready to harvest in 45 days. Small leaves can be harvested while young and tender.
- When seedlings reach a height of 2 to 4″ thin to 6 to 8″ apart with a row spacing between 15 to 18″
- Ideal temperatures for germination are between 12-16 degrees. Ensure the growing area receives plenty of sunlight, to ensure best germination rates. Protect from pests if possible, however general care is very easy. Just keep them well watered, then harvest after 45 days.