How to Sow Giant Sweet White Spanish Onion Seeds
Known around the world for their silky white skin. Giant sweet white onions once grown, produce a mild flavoured sweet onion. They are a reliable crop to grow and a favorite in Spain. The bulbs are pure white and firm making them a great storage onion. When grown from seed, they will produce better quality onions than set grown onions. Sweet enough raw or cooked, this variety of onion is a salad or burger top favourite. Thin skinned and easy to peel, they are considered as one of the best all round onions.
Growing Advice for Giant Sweet White Spanish Onion
- Can be grown indoors in early spring, in an area which receives plenty of light 8 to 10 weeks before spring starts. Can be sown anytime indoors, providing temperatures of between 18-23 degrees.
- The germination period takes between 10 to 12 days and will be ready to harvest 115 days after planting.
- Sowing seeds directly outdoors: After the last frost has passed and the ground is warm and workable.
- sow seeds at a depth of 1/2″ with a plant spacing of 2 to 3″ and a row spacing of 18″, keeping the soil or compost moist.
- If starting indoors or outdoors, ensure seeds receive plenty of sunlight. Warmth is essential to successful germination
- Onions are ready to harvest once the tops begin to turn brown.