How to Sow Milan White Turnip Seeds
This turnip has creamy white and fleshy skin, with buttery smooth flat roots and maintains a flattened glove shape; making it a distinctive variety of the famous Milan Italian turnip. While remaining very resistant to cold temperatures, it takes approximately 45 days to maturity from germination. Milan White is extremely productive and reliable, with one of the finest flavours; making it a popular choice in the kitchen.
Growing Milan White Turnips from Seeds
- Plant ss soon as soil is workable, avoiding freshly manured areas as this will decrease germination. sow directly to bed outdoors in early Spring.
- Cover seeds with ¼ inch of fine soil with spacing in rows 15-18 inches apart.
- Sow a second crop in late summer for an Autumn/Winter harvest. Ideal temperatures for germination are between 15-24 degrees. Adult plants will happily grow outdoors in much cooler, varying climates.
- When young seedlings are 2 to 4 inches tall, thin to 4 to 6 inches apart.
- Germination takes approximately 14 to 21 day, or longer, depending upon soil and weather conditions.
- Harvest when turnips are no larger than 3 inches in diameter. Greens can be harvested when young and tender.